[OM] 300mm + 2X questions

Subject: [OM] 300mm + 2X questions
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:00:04 -0700
How well does the Zuiko 300m4.5  + Zuiko 2X perform? Olympus does not
recommend it...they don't denounce it but what the hey, all the parts fit
together and so why not?  Obviously the combo is not a good as the real
thing, a Zuiko 600m f 6.5 (f 6.3?)  but I am interested in anyone's
experience/opinion with the differences between these.  There have been a
number of comments that the 300m 4.5 + 1.4X is comparable with the Zuiko
400m.  Ah, if such a comparison would hold true for the 300m + 2X.! Then I
will not have to lust for big iron! ( The "fast" 600ms @ f4 from N*K*N etc
cost $3 to $4 grand for a "bargain".)  Comment, some may wonder why the
heck get something so big and hairy;  well,  I use think so until I got
hooked on birds. Some of the buggers will not let you within 50 feet on
them so you get a lot of marsh and a little bird.

Second question is aren't you suppose to lose two full stops when you put a
2X on? Some situations this does not show up in the camera's metering. I
have noticed the lack of loss when reading the meter on a 4T and 2n. I was
shooting birds in a marsh where there was a lot of reflection off the
clouds onto the still water and was perplexed that the metering did not
seem to change whatsoever in some circumstances. ( No polarized used.)  I
was shooting with a 300mm and then the 300mm with a 2XA. I thought the
camera had gone hairwire, the 2n or that the Beattie screen was messing up
the 2n's reading. But a 4T's metering showed a 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop loss
when I swapped out the 2n for the 4T.

I'll be getting my trannies back in a view days and report on how the 300m
+ 2X  results look to me. Maybe I will get more scientific about it by
getting an lens "eye chart" and shooting it. Does anyone know if there are
any resolution charts I could pull off the Internet?

Andre

San Carlos, CA

PS. The Zuiko 300mm f4.5 has that zuiko feeling squared. It feels good to
hold and operate and the view through it is sharp and the light is magical.
It is like a fine piece of crystal. Now I will not scoff at Gary Schloss's
analogies of zuikos and  fine wines.