Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 23:08:13 +0800
----------
> From: Mikael von Numers <mnumers@xxxxxx>
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
> Date: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 6:13 AM
>

> It is possible that the Zuiko 300F4.5 was designed already in the late
60ies.
> This lens was among the first Zuikos availabel in the beginning of the
70ies.
> There are at least one example of a lens, still in production, that is a
much
> older design: the Leica Summilux-M F1.4, from about 1964 (1962).
>
> Mikael

Okay, this is only a general speaking, there are of course good designs on
the 60', but I think most of the best design are between end 70' to 90',
especially for the zoom lenses. At least you have multicoating and more
powerful computers to resolve the complex design, also the manufacturing
technique is improved a lot, in the IS-1000 catalogue, it indicated an
advance in the ED lens grinding. Glass aspherical lens appeared for low
cost cameras (of course small size glasses) and the manufacturing cost was
also lower at that time.

On the other hand if you still think the Leica f1.4 M lens is outstanding
in today, please check with the Popular Photography Aug. 94 issue. All
Leica M 35mm, 50mm and 75mm at f1.4 and 2 are well below average! Until
stop down to f4 it has excellent performance. But what price do you think
you have to pay for them, how many effort the manufacturer have to pay in
those days to make it outstanding in their ages. Oh! I hope there is no
Leica fans watching this mailing list.

C.H.Ling