Re: [OM] OM-5 digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-5 digital
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 22:13:43 +0100
Hello Kennedy,

first I´d like to say, that I´ve not studied physics or something
similar, so my untechnical (wrong use of terms?) language might led to
misunderstanding. A problem often found between profesionals and
laymans. I think, that there are some popular myth about the
significance of "bits". I always get this impression, if there is a
discusion about scaner, like recently in our list. For this reason, I
think it´s worth to discus this publicly in the list, if you don´t mind
please forward our discusion to the list.

Kennedy wrote:

> I think you are using a different definition of dynamic range from me.
> Normally it is defined in dB, as 20log(saturation limit/noise level)
> with both levels expressed in volts, or 10log(.....) if levels are in
> power or intensity.  That definition certainly gives far higher figures
> than the 1.8 - 3.8 you are quoting, which sounds more like the gamma
> response than anything else I can think of.  What are you defining as
> dynamic range?

I´m relating to the log (dec) relative optical density or brightness,
used in print (photographic and paperbased), based on the brightest
(paper, lightsource) and darkest spot (dye) of an picture.

> Whilst the number of bits used in the ADC is unrelated to the dynamic
> range of a CCD, using less bits than the CCD is capable of simply limits
> the dynamic range further, whilst increasing the bits simply quantises
> noise - increasing cost without any increase in performance.

Logic, a 1bit device would produce either black or white with nothing in
between, but a high bit device (f.ex. 12bit) would not be of much use if
the combination of CCD, AD converter and optics did not allow to produce
more than 1024 shades (8bit).

You wrote earlier:

> Astronomical units - as Lee will doubless confirm - achieve higher
> dynamica ranges by reading the CCD out numerous times, converting the
> signal to digital form and accumulating the result.  This increases the
> effective photon noise limit by a factor of the square root of the
> number of integrations, but pretty soon this becomes dominated by other
> effects - particularly dark current noise etc.  Whilst such multiple
> integrations are fine in the relatively stable astronomic field, they
> would not be suitable for normal photography since the subject movement
> would corrupt the image.

Didn´t Nikon use(d) this technique with there Coolscans? I´d remember to
have read, that the scaning time is relative to the slides density.

Greetings

Richard

--
Kennedy