Re: [OM] PEN

Subject: Re: [OM] PEN
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 20:27:51 -0800
>Peter Leyssens wrote:
>>
>> Is there an overview of the Pen cameras available?  I hear you talking
>> about Pen-E, Pen-F, Pen-EE and Pen-EE2 and some others but of course,
>> search engines didn't give much useful when looking for Pen and Olympus.

"Brave man" Lars Haven, courageously:

>Nobody else seems to go for this, so I'll give it a try.
>I do not have much information, but what I have is this: The Pen series are
>18x24 mm (half-format) cameras. Pen F is one of a very few (the only?) half
>format SLR cameras ever made.

Actually, Konica's first ever focal plane shutter SLR with built-in
autoexposure (shutter priority) automation -- the Konica Auto Reflex,
also had the ability to switch back and forth between full-frame and
half-frame in mid-roll. The Auto Reflex was a marvelous piece of photo
machinery, though much bulkier/heavier than the Pen F.

>At least two variants were made: Pen F and Pen FT;

Actually, there was also a Pen FV, which AFAIK was essentially a
meterless FT, as well as a scientific version of Pen F.

>I'm not entirely sure of the differences, but I think the FT had a
>built-in light meter.

It (the FT) also had a self timer, as well as a single-stroke winding
mechanism.

>Olympus used to make an adapter allowing OM mount Zuikos to be used
>with these cameras.

... and also adapters for M42, Nikon, and T-mount lenses.

>The Pen-EE series were more or less "point and shoot" cameras. Very compact,
>108x66x42mm, due to the small negative. Pen EE-3 has a 28mm F3.5 fix-focus
>lens (4 elements, 3 groups). Pen EES-2 has a 30mm F2.8 lens, same optical
>configuration, but with 4 zone focusing mechanism and slightly thicker. Both
>have auto shutter range from 1/40s to 1/200s, but manual aperture.
>I expect Pen EE and Pen EE-2 to be the immediate predecessors to the Pen EE-3
>and very similar. Somebody else on the list may know.

I believe the original Pen and Pen S were meterless. The EE and EES models
sported selenium light meters around the lens, whereas the late D models had
off-the-lens CdS meters, and needed batteries. The last one -- Pen EF, was
more like the EE-series, but was largely made from bakelite-like jet black
plastic, and had a built-in pop up flash.

>I have never seen a formal overview of the Pen camereras, which of course
>does not mean that it it is not somewhere out there.

Vision Age magazines had a good survey of the various Oly models. I have
a few xeroxed pages (thankyou, John G. :-)). Which reminds me: Denton and
David B., what ever happened to the plan to purchase Vision Age sets from
the UK Olympus Club?

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA