Re: [OM] Fungus again

Subject: Re: [OM] Fungus again
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 09:39:33 +0100
At 8:29 pm +0100 1/5/98, David Brown wrote:

>Thanks for all your kind responses re small amount of fungus on 21mm lens.
>Am I correct in assuming that if I kill the fungus by exposure to UV it
>will not spread and I can get it cleaned at a later date?
>
>I have access to a UV tube used for photo etching PCBs - has anyone used
>one of these for this purpose (well, we don't get all that much sun here,
>and I would hate to leave the lens out in the sun and then find it had been
>rained upon!).
>
>Thanks again, David

Would you ever feel that all the fungus had been killed off?  That nagging
doubt would always be there, along with lower contrast if it's not cleaned
;-)

Guess any strong UV source would be OK, however have no idea how much UV it
would take to kill the fungus, and what if any would be the effect on any
plastic/rubber parts of the lens.

Have read somewhere that some cleaning materials inhibit fungal growth to
help prevent future growth.

If the thought of plant life in your lens, its possible return, its effects
on the MC, and the fact that it's infectious fills you with dread, send it
off to me and I'll send you back a very nice Mint 28mm Zuiko which has
never had a trace of fungus ;-)

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com