Re: [OM] Weddings

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 09:55:51 -0500
>SOmeone posted that OTF flash was good for weddings. How? How is the fill
>ratio controlled? I've often thought of this, but I can't see how the OTF
>knows when the correct exposure is received if you want 1/2 or 1/4 fill.

Very true.  OTF isn't for every shot!  Where OTF is a serious help is during
the action scenes where the distance varies dramatically between shots or
where you cannot predetermine your exposure.  It'll keep the processional
exposed pretty good regardless of where you actually catch them coming down
the aisle.  I only got one shot where the exposure was off while using OTF
and I knew it while taking the picture and I managed to correct it in the
second shot.

Fill ratios of 1/2 or 1/4 cannot be done while in OTF.  We've been through
this one before.  What is probably the finest feature of the OM's is that
the auto scale is constantly showing what the ambient exposure is and you
can adjust accordingly.  For "daytime" weddings where the interior/exterior
is bright I can get away with shooting manually and adjusting the fill ratio
accordingly.  Standard rules apply--set ambient exposure first and then the
flash.  But for "nighttime" weddings, you cannot get away with 1/2 or 1/4
fills as the flash is the primary source of illumination (unless you are
shooting ISO 1600 film--ugh!).

During reception and around and about shots, OTF is absolutely great.  I
average a couple questionable exposures per roll, but with the quantity I
shoot, it's irrelevant.

Ken.