[OM] OM-5 dreaming again (was 2-x screens again)

Subject: [OM] OM-5 dreaming again (was 2-x screens again)
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 08:36:10 -0400
Garth Wood wrote:

>I'd love to see an OM-5, but what the heck would they put in it?  They
>screwed up autofocus big-time in the 80s, and they've already got
>fully-controllable bells-'n-whistles on their flagship OM-3Ti and
>OM-4Ti, and unless they're planning on doing the Contax trick with the
>"camera body inside a camera body" for autofocus that uses existing
>Zuikos, I'm at a loss as to what else needs to be done -- unless
they've
>decided to produce a composite body to lower the price.  In my opinion,
>that wouldn't be so bad, but that's almost the niche the OM-2000's
>shooting for.  What would I like to see?  More lenses!

I can think of a few items that would make nice add-ons to the OM-4Ti,
and that would lift its '80's design into the next millennium. In
random order:

- An on/off main switch to set battery drain to zero; switch activates
meter too (rather miss one shot because the switch is off than missing
200 shots because the batteries are dead again and I forgot he spares)
- Shutter speed priority auto exposure, and maybe one or two program
modes (but not if this reduces the 5 frames/sec motor speed like the
ON-2S does)
- A faster x-synchro time (1/250 or 1/200 would be great, 1/125
acceptable)
- A better ISO setting/exposure compensation dial design, DX support,
and an extended ISO range
- Spot metering that also supports TTL flash
- ESP/Matrix metering, also combined with TTL flash
- Better camera coating

And:
- An F450 hi-speed flash with built-in zoom head (21-135 mm) and GN
45@50mm
- A 2-10 screen

Note the absence of AF. Otherwise there would be nothing left to dream
about. OK, maybe for the OM-6, that shall be introduced at the
Photokina-2000.

Hans