Re: [OM] Surplus OM's

Subject: Re: [OM] Surplus OM's
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:56:59 +0100
In article , Ian M. Stewart <ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>paul haigney <lensman@xxxxxxxx> asked about my luck:
>
>> Hi again Ian
>>
>> Are you having any luck with picking up OM bargains since our last emails?
>
>My present penury has stopped me from looking too hard  :-(

>> am trying to check something out for you , there's a guy called Richard
>> Smallbones in the UK, I spoke too him before on the phone,anyway he buy's
>> surplus OM's and Hassleblads ect ect..from your Ministry of Defence !!
>
>So the army use Olympus?  Does he deal in lenses?

The Royal Navy certainly use OMs.  They used to have motor driven
modified OM-2's fitted to the camera port of submarine periscopes.  I
had a tour around HMS Conqueror before the Falklands War and also HMS
Courageous and discussed the mods made.

Basicly they had Olympus remove the pentaprism, fit a modified top-plate
and re-position the circuitry.  It then allowed them to fit a motor
driven automatic 35mm camera in the space a fully manual Nikon took up
before.

Some of the photos published in the press during the 80's of the sinking
Argentinian ship, the Belgrano, were taken by the sub's OM camera!
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)