Re: [OM] Two versions of 80mm macro?

Subject: Re: [OM] Two versions of 80mm macro?
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:52:53 +0100
Cc: PCACala@xxxxxxx
At 7:57 am -0700 24/4/98, Andre  Goforth wrote:

>Gary,
>
>You wrote:
>
>>> Can anyone tell the different in performance between these two lens?
>>
>>The optical cross sections of these are difference, so it wasn't just the
>>addition of an auto diaphragm.  The latter design is more symmetrical, which
>>in theory favors 1:1 performance.  I've never seen any published performance
>>reviews.
>>
>According to Paul Farrar's guide these lens have the same optical elements,
>namely 6E 4G. So I wonder if there is any difference in performance unless
>multicoating was added.
>
>If you were using the 80mm without the auto diaghragm with auto tubes or
>the telescopic auto tube 65-116 then the only way to focus on the subject
>would be to move the camera back and forth?
>
>Andre
>
>San Carlos, CA

The best way to focus is to buy a focussing stage - many different types
are available in secondhand land.  You could go for an Olympus stage,
however they are heavy and defeat the purpose of the zoom tube.

I have had some success either using just a tripod or hanheld with the 80mm
on the tube using flash, however it is an art/skill which takes a lot of
patience - forget bugs unless they are deceased ie ex-bugs, not just
resting.....

Reminds me of a song about a bee......

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com