Re: [OM] OM-2S Curtain String (was Problem: Can You Help Me?)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S Curtain String (was Problem: Can You Help Me?)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 15:29:35 -0700

>>>I think we just had a round of discussion about this recently, but darned if
>>>I saved anything about it.  This happens to me once or twice about every
>>>third roll. Is it largely an intermittent problem?
>>>
>>>Is there a home fix?
>>>
>>>Joel
>>>
>>Have you looked to see whether that is it?
>>
>>Winsor Crosby
>>Long Beach, California
>>mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>Winsor,
>
>If I understand your question, I've locked up the mirror and looked around
>the mirror box.  Nothing.  I've set the shutter on bulb and fired a few
>rounds looking for hanging debris.  Again nothing.
>
>Since I believe it only happens with one of my lenses, I am now suspicious
>that I'm getting some sort of ghost image or flare off a fungus-scarred
>portion of the rear lens element.  Trouble is, I'm not learned enough to
>know whether this is possible.
>
>Thanks for asking. Any ideas?
>
>Joel

It certainly looks like a shadow, not flare which is light being reflected
about. I was ready to go with John, but since the image is reversed at the
film plane, I think that the shadow of a hanging string would be hanging up
from the bottom edge of the picture.

It seems to me that if it were something with the lens the shadow would
focus in the viewfinder as well as at the film plane. Can you see it in the
viewfinder? If you can, why don't you try unlatching the suspect lens and
rotating the whole lens as if you were taking it off, but looking through
the viewfinder all the while. If the shadow rotates with the lens barrel it
would seem to be an artifact of the lens.

If you can not see it through the viewfinder I really think it is something
between the mirror and the film plane. As an experiment I took a single
strand of hair(from my head) and put it across the back a lens before
bayonetting it on my OM1n to see whether I could see it in the viewfinder.
My plan did not work because the strand moved inside the mirror box and
even though I could see its shadow clearly in the viewfinder it took me a
devil of a time to find the actual strand. Very difficult to see a single
fine dark hair in a dark little box with lots of crannies. I would use good
light, magnification, brush, compressed air to see what I could remove.