Re: [OM] (OM) San Diego Zoo and Other Ramblings

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) San Diego Zoo and Other Ramblings
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:43:48 -0700
Tips from a "Zoo-koholic":

  San Diego Zoo is one of my favorite places.  I'm not familiar with the
2X-A but I always bring my
  Vivitar Macro TC !  Tripod is okay -- one of those Bogen shoulder
strap tripod bags will help.

  Food inside the zoo is very expensive and there are little bus station
type lockers that use
  quarters and little orange keys.  This is a great place to store
picnic baskets.
  Definitely bring plenty of picnic foods and store them in the
lockers!  Ask zoo employees to
  tell you where to find the lockers (left when you first come in behind
the reptile house)
  The lockers are very close to the hummingbird aviary, a picnic lunch
area with tables & restrooms, etc.
  and it is behind the big reptile house with the Monitor (dragon)
lizards (huge!).

  Consider taking a short lens with a wide aperture because you can make
the cage bars disappear --
  I once used a 55mm f1.2 on the Vivitar 2X TC & T32 flash on a cord to
photograph a baby owl's face
  - the photograph was much better than the actual view --
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~thogan/

  There is a bus inside the zoo that is a good way to get an overview of
the entire zoo.  The line for the
  bus ride is long unless you are there when the zoo opens in the
morning.

  The zoo is huge, bring plenty of food, water, a big floppy straw hat,
shorts,tripod carrying bag, cool     clothing and take advantage of
those lockers!

  Hank Hogan

  PS The next time I go down there I'm packing a Kettenstativ (Chainpod)
or a Green Stringpod!

R. Wastell wrote:

> Zuikoholics,
>
> I will be visiting the San Diego Zoo for the first time in early June on a
> family vacation. We will have only one day there and I am looking for some
> general advice.
>
> For example; does the zoo restrict tripods? What are the transportation
> options in the zoo? Would you expect 400 mm (200 f4 + 2X-A or Vivitar Macro
> TC) to be enough at the long end based on the zoo's configuration?
>
> I am trying to pare down my equipment list to prevent dislocations of arms
> and shoulders. ("Mom, why do I have to carry Dad's camera bag?!")
>
> I should mention; after San Diego and Disneyland we will pick up a rental car
> and drive to Seattle. It has been 25 years since I drove the coast route;
> does anyone have any favorite spots for bed and breakfasts or sections of the
> coast route to avoid.
>
> I realize I haven't been too specific about my photographic goals beyond the
> obvious zoo portraits. That is because I am really looking for logistical
> advice to help me plan.
>
> Obligatory Olympus content: I picked up a 2X-A in Anchorage recently ($80)
> and I haven't had a chance to compare it with my Vivitar Macro TC. Has anyone
> used both? By the way, this 2X-A is an early one, it is marked for both 135s,
> the 100 f2.8, and both 200s; and for those who are keeping track it is
> definitely multicoated. Clive, do you want to start a thread on 2X-A serial
> numbers? ;)
>
> This is too long already, so thanks in advance.
>
> Bob

Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer