Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:29:13 +0200
Foxy wondered:
>>>According to this Velvia should be great. Does it pink out in snow?

Then I answered somewhat misleadingly:
>>Yes, snow in sunset conditions etc. pink out, just as clouds do. I love
it,
>>then again, others may loathe it! In midday light, I would say all Fujis
>>show a bluish cast if not corrected by a skylight filter with the Zuikos.
>>I've read somewhere that this more or less holds for all E6 films, anybody
>>out there know if this can be true? Kodachromes have a very good
reputation
>>for faithful reproduction of snow.

Foxy again:
>I took a while to respond to this one. Sorry. But I'm unsure of some
>comments here. I wrote the pink out line. By which I mean "Does it cause
>whites (such as snow etc) to have a pink shade?".
>
>Then Ulf wrote that they show a bluish cast in midday sun.
>
>How can a film show a pinkish caste for white and then a bluish caste in
>strong daylight? Or am I misreading this again?

Not in strong daylight, but in overcast midday situations. I expressed
myself fuzzy, sorry.
The wildflowers shot on Garth's gallery
http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/gallery.html was taken with Velvia at 12.00,
colours are at least on my monitor faithful to the original slide.

Someone on the list responded that Velvia pushes very well 1 stop, and that
colours tend to warm up when doing this. I've only done this once, in a very
heavy overcast situation and, yes, it seems to be right on. When looking
back at these slides I can hardly differ the Velvias from the Kodak Elite
100's (warm film). Strong colours on pushed Velvia under these conditions
are exceptional, almost a 3D effect! (Some would say unnatural, another way
of expressing it).

Ulf Westerberg