Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #235

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #235
From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Apr 98 15:06:51 +0200
On Lun, 20 apr 1998 5:30, Pat O'Connor <mailto:patio@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Actually, when I said I simply read the instructions on each and every
>box of film, I meant just that. I really know much about film and
>exposure. If the instructions say f11 250th sec for iso200 Kodak Royal
>Gold film in full sunlight with no secondary reflection from snow, water
>or sand, then, by golly, that is what my dear OM-1 was set at.

No wonder... 1 stop of extra exposure cannot do harm to a film for prints.
The fact there are no secondary reflections means you have no "highlights"
that could result "deep black" in the neg.

>And I got beautiful results and well exposed negatives.

No doubt.

>I was wondering if anyone has visited the Kodak.com site and checked the
>Kodak Royal Gold specs. From what I understand, the film is new
>technology, used in the "advantix" cameras, and can be shot at 3 stops
>under to 2 stops over (or something), and still gets usable results.
>Does that make any sense? It sounds too good to be true. Imagine not
>being plagued by the 1/2f stop angst.

Of course 1/2 stop means little with film for prints... that is true
generally and most true with "new" films. Sounds better 1 stop under and 3
over... of course you can miss some thin hue in darker or brighter "zones".

The best thing you can do is to try. Have different shots from -2 to +3 of
6 different objects and you are done with only one roll of film.

>I hope that someone can give me more information or actual experience
>with this film. I really need more info because I think that people like
>me and cameras like my OM-1 need a film with excellent colour
>reproduction, excellent fine grain, C-41 processing, and wide exposure
>latitude. My OM-1 camera and Zuiko lense does a fine job at focusing and
>regulating the amount of light reaching the focal plane. I now want a
>film that will bring my 20 year old camera up to the present day
>standards.

asfaik, there are no 20 years old standard C-41 films on the market
nowdays. Kodacolor 100 alias the good old VR which came out in the first
eighties is the oldest availble.

Marco
mailto:tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx