Re: [OM] oly experiences

Subject: Re: [OM] oly experiences
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 00:04:54 EDT
Hi Brian:

> BTW, I need a short telephoto, and I have seen a Zuiko 200(4) in the window
>  of a local shop. Is it sharp? The FAQ rates it lower than the
35-105(3.5-4.5)
>  I find this suprising, is it really softer than a zoom?

The longer the telephoto design, the harder it is to correct for aberrations.
You are comparing applies to oranges here!

>From experience, the 200 f/4.0 doesn't strike me as a particularily stellar
lens.  You need to pay a whole lot more that good performance at 180 mm and
longer.  But it is certainly adequate and it gets the job done!  Stopped down
a bit and on a sturdy tripod you are likely to get quite fine images.  At 200
mm, a steady camera and lens makes more difference than lens performance,
IMHO.  Try to shoot when the wind stops and lock up the mirror for best
performance.  I do infinity focusing with the Varimagnifinder for really
critical work, since I do notice some focus shift in cold (ca. 40 deg. F)
temperatures.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV