Re: [OM] The OM Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] The OM Gallery
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:51:45 -0800
On  9 Apr 98 at 14:31, Denton Taylor wrote:

> Date:          Thu, 09 Apr 1998 14:31:52 -0400
> To:            olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From:          Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject:       Re: [OM] The OM Gallery

> >>That reminds me.  I am adding a gallery of my own work to my new website
> (in production).  What is the  accepted way to set up a thumbnail linked to
> a larger picture.  Also what is the best format to present a picture in?
> JPEG?
> I got myself a SCSI Olympus ES-10 and am about to give it a workout!>>
>
> I don't know what is accepted but I know how I do it <g>.
>
> I believe you need two separate images. I put a bunch of thumbnails on one
> page (all a similar theme) and link each thumbnail to another page containg
> the larger photo.
>
> In Photoshop, I open the image, change it to 72dpi, then change it to the
> size of the main photo, save it as a higher quality .jpg photo, then change
> the size down again (to thumbnail), and save it as a lower quality .jpg.
>
> If you have a couple minutes, look at mine at www.dentontaylor.com

And here's another alternative that I use:

My jpg's are scanned in either Photoshop or Corel Photopaint, and the final
image saved to a max width/height of 800 or 600, depending on the image, since
this is a good size on most browsers, and keeps the jpg file well under 100k
usually.

I then use a shareware program called VuePrint Pro (see www.hamrick.com) which
allows one to set the output width (or height) and quickly save a whole mass of
files in a folder using this size. ie: I limit the width to 100 pixels, so the
thumbnails are lined up nicely. By saving them as GIF instead of jpg, it allows
you to quickly key through each file (hit V to save, Space for next
image) without messing with different filenames. When dealing with large
numbers of thumbnails at once, many browsers seem to handle GIFs faster than
JPGs, and at 100 pixels, there is little difference in size (or quality).

See my photo pages for examples...