Re: [OM] Weddings (no Oly-content)

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings (no Oly-content)
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:41:36 +0200
Someone wrote:
>>At present I am about to embark on that which an amatuer should never do,
>>weddings.  I've avoided these like the plague for almost 20 years, this
>>time I just couldn't say no.
<snip>

Uoaoh, here's another one. A couple insist that I do their wedding. My
merits in this photographic field are below zero. I feel uncomfortable, to
say the least. And all this just because they attended my lecture of
Australian wildlife, now, I wish I could turn them into cuckatoos (or
crocs?). :-)

Then Foxy wrote:
>I've done a few weddings, all with normal auto or manual flash. I don't
know
>how TTL flash would work. Use a fill ratio of 1/2 or 1/4. If the flash
>aperture settings are 4, 5.6 and 8, and the exposure says f8 at 1/60, set
>the flash to f4. This makes the little eye more sensitive, and it turns off
>quicker. By 2 stops. 1/4 fill ratio. Or do it by manual. Put a finger in
>from of the flash. 1 finger = 1 stop reduction, 2 = 2 stops. You probably
>know all this already.
>
>Also, use the phrase "look over here, these are the ones you're paying for"
>a lot. A goup of 6 poeple all looking different directions is bad.
>
>Always place men on the outside of a photo. Dunno why, but it looks better.
>You'll have to have two women standing next to each other (bride, groom,
>best men, bridesmaids), but it looks better than a woman on the outside.
>Even in big group shots this looks good.
>
>Do not use flash for photos of the wedding cake. Take a tripod, use natural
>light or colour correction if under artificial light.

<snip>

>You probably know this stuff anyway

No, I most certainly didn't. This is invaluable info for me. Thank you,
thank you. Wonderful list, this is.

Cheers
Ulf Westerberg