Re: [OM] Lens Group

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Group
From: "Jim Terazawa" <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 16:15:03 -0600 (CST)
Cc: jimt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jim Terazawa)
Tomoko Yamamoto wrote;

> When I was in Tokyo in March, I picked up an Oly brochure titled "Lens
> Group", printed in March, 1996.

The one I picked up this past March at Yodobahshi is the February 1998 version.
It has the same picture of the rock arch on the front cover as in the March,
'96
version.  In the latest one Oly eliminated the 85mm/2.0, but added S Zuiko Zoom
35~70mm/f3.5~4.8 and S Zuiko Zoom 70~210mm/f4.5~5.6.

> The brochure is in A4 size and has four page.  Basically it looks like a
> sheet of paper double the A4 size, but folded.  The inner pages (double A4
> spread) show all the current Zuiko lenses as of the printing date.  These
> look like photographs of all the lenses in profile.  Each has a short
> despcription in Japanese.
>
> The following lenses are only produced on demand:
>
> 18mm/3.5, 24mm/3.5 shift, 35mm/2.8 shift, 20mm/2 macro, 38mm/2.8 macro,
> 180mm/2, 250mm/2, 350mm/2.8, 400mm/6.3, 1000mm/11, 600mm/6.5

This has always been the case since the 1976 brochure.

> The ED glass is explicitly mentioned in the following lenses:
>
> 24mm/3.5 shift, 35-80mm/2.8, 100mm/2, 180mm/2, 250mm/2, 350mm/2.8
>
> All the currently-produced lenses are MC.
>
> On the last page of the brochure, a summary of lens specs is given along
> with compatibility info on focusing screens including 2-x screens as well
> as list prices.
>
> I think in general the US lens prices are higher.  For example the 24mm/3.5
> shift has a list price of 178,000yen.  This translates to $1369, which is
> lower than the B&H price.  If Yodobashi Camera has a uniform 25 0iscount
> on Oly items, this would mean that their price woud be the equivalent of
> US$1027 for the 24mm shift.

With today's Japanese yen to US dollar conversion rate and somewhat recessed
economy in Japan, the items are 'cheper' there.

In addition, if you are a 'Gold Point Card' member with Yodobashi, you will have
additional discount (rate varies up to roughly 17%, depending on item purchased
in cash) without consumption tax of 5%.  This is how I was able to buy brand new
2-13 screen for about $17 US dollars.

Regards,
Jim Terazawa