Re: [OM] Future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Future of OM
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:57:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Richard Schätzl wrote:

|Richard Dale wrote:
|>
|> Has anyone any experience of the Contax AX autofocus system (using manual
|> lenses), does it work, is it a way forward for the OM system. Doesn't sound
|> too promising.
|
|One person from Olympus once told me, that Olympus considered to produce
|a AX like camera body.
|Against AX type AF speaks the complicated and heavy (AF speed!)
|mechanics, the limited range for tele lenses and it will render
|"floating elements" useless.

That's a bummer!  I wonder if they can reduce the
size, complexity and weight by adopting a partial auto focus
body.  This partial AF would be employed for
"conventionally" designed wide angles through moderate
teles.  It could then be switched off for floating element
lenses and medium to super teles.  In fact, in the Olympus
tradition, it should be switchable at all times since the
ultimate control is that of the intelligent operator.

Howver, without some sort of AF factor, given the masses'
gullibility for buzz words, it is unlikely that Olympus pro
units shall ever experience an upswing in sales.