Re: [OM] Various Questions (Part 2)

Subject: Re: [OM] Various Questions (Part 2)
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 18:30:20 +1000
>What's the difference between UV and Haze and Skylight filters (Color and
>B&W)?

UV is clear, only gets UV. 1B has a pinkish tinge. Helps correct coolest due
to atmosphere.

>I read about a solution for the OM-1 battery problem; what is the fix?
>Wein batteries or is there a suitable part?

MR-9 and a 1.5 SR44
http://www.criscam.com

>I have extension tubes that will allow my 50mm f1.8 to go to 1:1.  How
>sharp can I expect this set-up to be in the 1:2 to 1:1 range?

Try the 50mm f3.5. You might have to reverse the 1.8 to maintain image
quality, but is reasonable about 1:2. I use the f3.5

>I was considering the 90mm f2 macro for close-ups (mostly flowers).  Is
>this suitable for making copy slides?  How about on a copy stand?  Or
>should I use the 50mm f1.8 with tubes?

You should never need a reason to buy the 90mm. But the 80mm is made for 1:1

>I looked back in the review of the 90mm macro in  Modern Photography
>(8/87) and it appears to be decent but reviews of the Tokina 90mm f2.5
>macro (MP 6/89) seem to be much better.  Mostly excellent ratings versus
>good ratings at the various apertures.  Any opinions?  Did they change the
>test method?  Has Olympus changed the design of the 90mm lens since the
>review?

The Zuiko 90mm lens is talked about by other manufacturers. I think that is
significant.

>What is the least expensive, best (sharpest) method for making slide
>copies?

Send them to Kodak

Foxy