Re: [OM] Pricing [was: WEIRD XA2]

Subject: Re: [OM] Pricing [was: WEIRD XA2]
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 00:31:38 -0800

Gary R. wrote:

>Dealers tell me OM equipment doesn't move, but it is obvious that they are
>pricing their stock TOO high here in the US.  Holding equipment for a long
>time sure won't earn any interest on the asset!
>
>Since my OM-1 w/ 50mm f/1.4 bargain at $55 I've hit another dry spell.
>Pretty slim pickings here. There must be some stockpiles!!

A propos dealers and stockpiles, today someone told me about a chain
store here in So. Cal (Kits) that has a computerized inventory mgmt
system which automatically reduces prices on old inventory.

And so, this guy was able to buy two brand-new, in-box Olympus 1.4X-A
TC's for $15 each, simply because they were in stock too long. Damn, I
could kill that lucky SOB! And he wouldn't accept my generous offer to
double his money and take $30 for one of the 1.4X-A's... Imagine the
chutzpah! :-)

>If my memory serves me right the Canon AE-1 on the OM1 and 2 sold
>about equal numbers.  Now why is it that I see a Canon >AE-1 and/or
T50 "new" to the shelf with each visit to a shop, but nothing OM?

Hmm, maybe Canon owners are not as loyal to their gear... Indeed, can
any Olympian/Zuik really blame them? :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx