[OM] WIERD XA2

Subject: [OM] WIERD XA2
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 01:24:17 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all:
Whilst making my rounds of the camera stores in the Boston area (which
are mostly devoid of good Oly stuff, btw) I saw a BLUE XA2 with matching
blue A11 flash.  Nope, it wasn't one of Ken Norton's Earl Shibe jobs.
It was a factory job.  Anyone else ever seen one?  John H., do you know
the history of these?  Were there any other colors other than blue?

About the only other things I saw were fairly overpriced: 18/3.5 with a
well-worn front element: $550; OM-3 beaten and brassed: $650, and
180/2.8 with ripped focus rubber: $650.  The last two items weren't even
priced, and after the manager and a sales type huddled over what was
probably a ShutterBug mag, they hit me with those ridiculous figures.  I
explained that those seemed to be mint condition prices, and was tempted
to say "this stuff ain't mint condition, Beavis".  But I refrained.  It
really amazes me how much people in this town want for stuff in
basically KEH Ugly condition.

On another note, I saw to my delight a 28-48/4 on the Charlotte Camera
web page, for only $99 this morning.  I called immediately, and it was
of course gone.  Ok.  Who got it ;)  (my bet is on Lindert.  I think he
is the one reason our stuff is so expensive still.  He's cornered the
market, and has an old WWII bunker full of the stuff.  Perhaps me, Gary
S., Gary R., Clive, Giles, Hank, Ulf, and Foxy should mount
a rescue mission.  We can take John H. along to care for any equipment
damaged in the fray, and Larry can go along to set up a web page for
proper redistribution of the wealth :).

Cheers,
--Lee