[OM] Pancake lenses

Subject: [OM] Pancake lenses
From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 18:20:48 -0500
The Pentax "pancake lens" produced for the tiny M-series cameras is
definitely the smallest of these type lenses. I think it's a 2.8/40mm.  The
Contax 2.8/45mm Tessar may be the sharpest, but the current version is not
as solidly built as the Zuiko 2.0/40mm and lacks the engraved numbers.
  Recently I saw a test of another flat 2.4/40, I believe, a Ricoh that may
still be available (Pentax K mount).

Again, I believe reviving the Zuiko 2.0/40mm togehter with a new compact OM
body might be a smart move of Olympus.
 Jan
========
Paying $300 for a 40 mm f/2.0 would be a good example of your statement above.
I just saw a 1980s era ad for OM equipment in a Modern Photography.  The 40 mm
Zuiko was about $84 - the same as the 50 mm f/1.4  That boutique lens is
rather overpriced based on cost/performance.  But it does makes a nice
collector's piece - probably because so few sold and it's one of, if not the
smallest 35 mm SLR lenses of all time.  (I recall Pentax had an answer to it's
compactness, but can't recall the details.)
========