Re: [OM] troubleshooting an olympus stylus

Subject: Re: [OM] troubleshooting an olympus stylus
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 12:54:18 -0700
At 01:00 PM 27/03/98 -0500, Gail Meglitsch <meglitsc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>I have manually unloaded the film and tried loading a new roll. Everything
>I try fails. The olympus's mind is totally confused, I believe. It is as
>if various locks are activated, because it thinks it's on exposure 0, it isn't
>going to respod to anything because it doesn't understand what exposure 0
>is. I've tried messing with it with the battery out, with the battery in, with
>a fresh battery, with no film..... the old olympus is sits there, stubbornly
>refusing to load film, rewind, or open the shutter.
>
>Does anyone have any quick work arounds for this impasse. I hate to send it
>off for repair and wait for weeks to get it back, if there is some simple
>thing I can do to clear the locks, LED or whatever.

Gail;

You might also try removing the battery and shorting out the contacts in the
battery compartment that connects the electronics with the case (I noticed you
didn't mention that tactic above).  This may cause one or more capacitors
somewhere in the circuitry to discharge, triggering a reset.

Other than that, I have no further ideas to offer.  Mebbe John H. knows more
about this.

Garth Wood
"Plans are worthless, but planning is essential."

   -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Garth Wood, a consultant working with
TELUS Multimedia (a division of TELUS Cable Holdings, Inc.)
Floor 8, 10025 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta   T5J 1S6
Canada

Voice: (403) 493-4092