Re: [OM] Future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Future of OM
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 00:09:44 -0800
Warren Kato wrote:

>In a message dated 98-03-26 20:47:19 EST, Winsor Crosby wrote:
>
><< I just looked at a friend's new Pentax ZX-5. What a nice little camera.
>  >>
>I wonder if Pentax and Olympus are friends?  They could rebadge the camera and
>add an AF OM mount, compatible with present OM lenses, while Olympus could
>continue to sell its present line of lens and bring out a few new AF lenses.
>Then they wouldn't have to go through the probably (incredibly) high start up
>costs on a new body.  (Just a thought...)

Hey, you two must be new to the list, or must have me in your kill file.

Several months ago, I suggested here that Olympus and Asahi Pentax are
ripe for a friendly merger -- at least, their photogear divisions are.
Both companies' approaches to 35mm and design philosophies are similar.
Moreover, their relative strengths complement each other: Pentax is
strong in AF, medium format, etc., whereas Olympus is stronger in P&S
as well as in digital photography.

Of course, since we are talking Japan here, this is unlikely to happen.
Too bad for both companies, IMHO :-(

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA