Re: [OM] OM 4Ti Champagne

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 4Ti Champagne
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:49:33 -0800
>On 26 Mar 98 at 21:00, Giles wrote:
>
>> There is no problem with corrosion of titanium, just the opposite.
>> It is very resistant to corrosion and is used in many applications
>> because of this property, such as medical prosthesies - screws, hip
>> joints and other such hardware that is imbeded in the body.  Salt
>> water doesn't bother it at all.  I believe cadmium can cause Ti to
>> corrode as the USAF had problems with the SR71 early on which was
>> traced to cadmium plated tools being used.
>>
>So the next logical step for those with "brassed" 4Ts is to somehow remove
>*all* the paint with some sort of glass beading process (?), leaving a nice
>shiny and durable Titanium finish...
>
>========================
>Shawn Wright
>Computer Systems Manager
>Shawnigan Lake School
>250-743-6240
>swright@xxxxxxxxx

It is ironic that Leica sells their champage finish titanium electroplate
mode for a huge premium over the black model and Olympus, evidently bowing
to customer pressure, paints over their solid titanium top and bottom
plates. It may be because of the odd irregular texture of the bare titanium
model. I know I opted for the black after I looked at the champagne model.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx