Re: [OM] some more lens tests...

Subject: Re: [OM] some more lens tests...
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:25:39 EST
Hi Dan:

<< Anybody else want to contribute? >>

It really helps to have this article and date information!  I'll process (3 at
a time) the Interlibrary Loan requests for the pre-1980 issues of Modern
Photography and Popular Photography, using e-mailed requests as the priority.
If I work a few different libraries, they may come in faster.  Next week I'll
copy the 1980 and on Modern tests already cited in this thread.

Modern Photography made it very hard to find lens tests since they seldom
identified what they were testing in any given issue AND they had the tests
spread all over the magazine.  I could glean some additional dates from the
FAQ, but that is info (albeit abstracted) we already have.  So if anyone has
citations, lets get 'em compiled.  Eventually we can have the full range of
tested f stops on these Modern (albeit not so modern procedures) Photography
tests.

I'll post a 35-105 mm zoom comparison as soon as I have free time.  All I have
to make comparisons to are tests on two variations on the equivalent Canon FD
lens, though.  This is kind of an odd focal length range to find a presumably
stellar lens for comparison.

I once mentioned a 50 mm lens shootout published in Popular Photography.  It
must have been in the magazine between July and Dec. 1983.  That volume is
missing from the library and I haven't found a citation for this test in
Readers Guide for the last half of the 1970s.  If anyone has ready access to
these issues, I've love to have a copy of that review.  I could use it to post
some hopefully interesting comparisons on the 50 mm f/1.2, 1.4, and 3.5
Zuikos, like I did the 2.0 and 1.8 Zuikos.

BTW, there is a bottom line to this activity beyond just touting the Zuiko
lenses.  The tests give us an idea of what apertures we can shoot at for
optimum results, or what lens to choose when faced with multiple choices in
the same focal length.  That is why I'm making the effort: I need to refresh
my memory.  And in the For What It Worth department, the Canon FD List is
almost inactive in comparison to our OM list.  Looks like Canon FD owners
aren't too enthusiastic about their tools.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV