Re: [OM] 90MM F2Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] 90MM F2Macro
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 16:38:14 EST
Hi Windsor:

<< If macro correction is a large issue in a lens to be used for
macrophotography, why isn't it an issue when using a lens with macro
correction at "normal" shooting distances? >>

A lot has to do with the magnification ratio.  First off, many general purpose
macros without floating elements are optimized for about 1:10  They fall-off
from prime performance towards infinity and towards 1:2  Olympus found a way
to boost performance above and below 1:10 by using floating elements AND
managed to give us an f/2.0 aperture in the process!

The 80 mm f/4.0 Zuikos aren't floating element designs.  They are optimized
for 1:1 and not recommended outside the range of 2:1 to 1:2   1:1 requires a
symetrical or near symetrical optical construction incompatible with lenses
that focus to infinity or those used a high magnification ratios.

The 38 and 20 mm Macro Zuikos are reversed lenses (smallest elements forward),
which best suit high magnification ratios.

The 135 mm f/4.5 Macro Zuiko is optimized for 1:5 (if memory serves me right).
While it can focus to infinity, it's performance at that distance isn't very
good - IMHO.  So, performance degradation at infinity should be an issue here.

Finally, someone might still want to know why most macro lens without floating
elements can still rate high at infinity.  I guess I don't fully know, but
would guess that it is due to them having:
1) conservative designs with smaller maximum apertures
2) conservative ranges with maximum reproduction rations of 1:2 (less
extension tubes which DO degrade performance)
3) an optically most easy to correct range of 50-100 mm.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV