[OM] Railroad photography

Subject: [OM] Railroad photography
From: JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx (MR THOMAS N CURLEE)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:40:53, -0500
Hi all:

My son and I are railroad fans, with most of our photography railroad
related.  If anyone else out there has similar interests I would
highly recommend a railroad photography conference we went to this
last weekend.  This was the 20 th yearly 'Winterrail' conference held
in Stockton California (about 75 - 100 miles east of San Francisco).
It was a sellout event with 900 people packing the place.  They had
most of a day (8 hours) of slide shows.

If you think this is a day of: 'here's a train, -click-, here's
another train, -click-, here's a third train', think again.  The
slide presentations were all done with three synchronized projectors
with fade/dissolve controls, a 15 - 20 foot screen, and synchronized
stereo sound.  What these people did with the subject matter was
absolutely amazing.  Everything from straight documentation to trains
in the environment (the winter snow pictures were awesome).  Some of
the 'art' type pictures (time exposures, blurs, etc.) managed to
portray the 'feel' or 'essence' of railroading to a remarkable degree.

I can't recommend this conference enough.  Email me if anyone wants
more info.

Tom