[OM] Q: OM-2S

Subject: [OM] Q: OM-2S
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:15:51 -0600
Olympus Shooters:

I just purchased a OM-2S, lacking a manual. Could someone help me understand
some of the functions until I can get a manual of my own?

1) Aside from advancing the film, does the film advance level turn anything
on or off?  Unlike my OM-1, the level sort of "clicks" home.  So I wondered.

2) How does one activate the spot meter function?

3) How does one use the timer?

4) Is the "red 1/60" a mechanical or manual shutter speed? It inactivates
the meter. How long will the meter run before "going to sleep" if one does
not lock?

5) My camera came with a 3v Duracell DL1/3N -- a lithium battery -- instead
of 2 SR44's. I robbed another camera and got the proper batteries in.
However, before doing so, I had a couple of instances in which while testing
the meter and shutter the mirror would lock up and the shutter stick (as
though the batteries had run out). The FAQ (for which kudos and appreciation
to Mr. Hawkins!) notes that while the lithium powers the camera, voltage
drops cause unsatisfactory results. Is my mirror/shutter lockup a probable
result of one of these voltage drops?

6) What is the port or possibly terminal by the lock function?  (I'm not
referring to the lock button itself but to the 1/4" cap on what looks like
an old-fashioned flash sync.)

7) On the front of the camera, on the side with the ASA dial, there is a
button about where the mirror lockup on an OM-1 would be. What is it?

8) On the front on the other side, under the rewind crank, there is a
five-prong terminal. What's that for?

9) When one uses the battery check, hears the sound, and sees the light, I
assume that's good.  What are the indicators when you need a battery change?
How often do they recommend checking the battery?

10) I assume flash sync with 1/60 and below. Correct?  I don't have the
proper module yet for my Vivitar 4600 flash, so no TTL yet. In the meantime,
can I just use manual setting, 1/60, and appropriate f-stop for flash?  Can
I also use auto setting with appropriate aperture?

Lotta questions, sorry. Thanks in advance for any help.  Private email welcome.

Joel Wilcox
jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx