RE: [OM] Q: Cable Release for Winder 1

Subject: RE: [OM] Q: Cable Release for Winder 1
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:03:12 -0600
At 09:36 AM 3/14/1998 -0900, you wrote:
>       From my OM System brochure; the simple push-button switch is called "M.
Remote Cord" and is available in 1.2 and 5 meter lengths.

>       The Relay Cords are for connecting the Motor Drive 2 to a M.AC Control
Box, Control Grip , or Control Pack. They have different connectors that
will not fit the winders.

>       I have the M. Remote Cord 1.2m for my Winder 2 and it works great but I
often wish it was longer.

>       By the way, in your original post you seemed to be also asking if you
could use a mechanical cable release with the winder. With my Winder 2 at
least; if I release the shutter with the camera shutter release first and
then push the winder release, the winder simply advances the film and cocks
the shutter.

>       If you are concerned about extra vibration induced by the winder, you
could try using both types of release. I would think that mirror slap would
be a more significant vibration source but I have not tested this.

>       Bob

Bob,

Thanks to you and others (notably Frank) who have shared your expertise on
my question.

I'm really interested in a winder for only one thing: to eliminate the need
to recheck the composition everytime I wind.  I like to shoot two identical
frames with BW or color print film and my thought was to get everything set
and then lock up the mirror (I've got an OM-1) and shoot the two frames.

I don't think your shutter release/winder release scenarios apply to me, but
please correct me if I'm wrong. It hard to discuss equipment clearly when
you're not sure of what it's called and you've never actually seen it in use!

Regards,

Joel