[OM] Kiron lens

Subject: [OM] Kiron lens
From: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Volkhart Baumgaertner)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:28:56 GMT
Yo y'all,

I just acquired a Kiron f 3.5-4.5/35-135 mm zoom lens. The lens is very
solid and heavy and seems to be all metal. It also has macro settings for
1:6, 1:5, and 1:4.
However, it has an odd spot on, as it seems, the second lens (right behind
the front lens). The spot looks like a pinkish haze consisting of lots of
tiny specks. It is the shape of a filled semi circle and covers a little
less than half of the lens surface. Its round edge follows the outer edge of
the lens, but at a distance of may be 5 mm (1/4"), except for one of the
corners where it goes all the way to the edge of the lens. It is best
visible when looking at the lens front at a certain angle, especially when
holding the rear element against the light - it then looks as if light were
"flowing" in from the side of the lens where the spot's corner touches the
lens edge. The effect is strongest at the straight edge which runs almost
trough the middle of the lens.

The guy at the shop where I bought it says it's most likely to not affect
the pictures but offered to take the lens back if I didn't like the results
from it. He first thought there was grease on the lens element and had it
taken apart for cleaning; it turned out, though, that the spot seems to be
what he calls a "manufacturing problem". I'm now shooting a test roll with
the lens and will of course have to wait and see the results. However, even
if the shots turn out all right, I have kind of an ungood feeling about it.

So, has anybody here seen something like this before? Is my bad feeling
justified, or am I worrying about nothing? In other words, should I keep the
lens or return it?

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--