Re: [OM] A question about bulk loading film & MLU

Subject: Re: [OM] A question about bulk loading film & MLU
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 15:32:55 -0800
Wrote Dr. Matthew J. Cordery,

> (1) Anyone out there do bulk loading  on a
 regular basis with a changing bag...

  Yes, I have loaded bulk loaders with 35mm film with a changing bag
  and loaded small stainless steel developing tanks with 35mm   film
exclusively for many years.  I began doing this in a lab
  where the darkroom was so contaminated with 22Na & 32P that I could
  read it with a geiger counter several feet away.  I wanted to minimise
  my exposure to this so I got in the habit of staying out of the dark
  room and kept my bulkloaders and black changing bag in my desk at the
  lab.  That was many years ago but I became so used to doing it that
  I even took bulk rolls of Ektachrome into the field and re-used my
  film cassettes removing the exposed film into the Kodak light proof
  plastic canisters.  These would be developed at Pro Labs like A&I
  in Hollywood, California as long as you were very careful to never
  exceed 36 exposures (if you wound more than 36 they would not accept
  any more "hot rolls" from you) you'd be "black-listed".

> (2) Currently, I am contemplating getting a new camera body. I'd like to know
> if anyone has done any testing to see how important a mirror lock-up is on
> the OM line. Is the lack of it terribly noticeable when you blow up a
> negative?
> Any help greatly appreciated.

***** Yes, it matters, especially when you don't have sandbags
      attached by bungy cords to your tripod or when you are making
      a critical exposure for extreme enlargement with a film like
      tech pan!  Don't forget to use a cable release!

--
Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer