RE: [OM] OTF in IS-3?

Subject: RE: [OM] OTF in IS-3?
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 21:44:16 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 1 mars 1998 22:41
Ämne: Re: [OM] OTF in IS-3?

>At a factory set combination of asa-distance the camera switches  between top
>flash tube (low power) and >bottom flash tube (higher power.)  There is no otf
>flash control or cell to read flash exposure as in a regular >auto flash
>(thyristor).
>The IS-3 will set f stop with flash based on distance but also which flash
>tube is going off., but that is the only >control it has.
>
>John
>Camtech

So much for the "Built-in Intelligent Variable-Power (IVP)" flash system!
Thanks John.
I´ve found now that a text in the troubleshooting chapter in my G40 manual
confirms what you say. It says:
"Q: What is the difference between IVP (Intelligent Variable Power) flash and
normal auto flash?
 A:  IVP flash is a system that controls the appropriate emission of light
according to the distance information between camera and the subject. This
system is not influenced by the reflection ratio of the subject. Contrary to
this, normal auto flash measures the light reflected from the subject, and
controls emission strength."

John, could you manage two more questions as well?

When the built-in GN28 flash and the optional G40 flash are used together the
G40 fires full emission, but the built-in GN28 flash is compensated by -3EV. I
know what exposure values means, but what exactly does this mean? It can´t be
that compensation is by aperture value, because that would effect the G40 as
well. Is just the upper GN20 tube fired in this situation?

Since the IVP flash system is based on distance, how does it behave in power
(manual) focus mode? In which way is distance determined?

Sorry for all these questions

Per Nordenberg