Re: [OM] Sunblocks

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunblocks
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:59:29 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Doug

This information you are providing is very dangerous and is at the
very best - misleading.  It is most definitely NOT just a matter of
genetics.  A recent US study indicating that sunblocks may not be
effective, which you may be alluding to,  is quite likely seriously
flawed as it tested only one component used in sunblocks - on mice.
Not all sunblocks are equal either.  In Australia nearly all
sunblocks are broad spectrum, that is they block UV A & B rays.  Many
sunblocks sold in other countries are not broad spectrum and only
block UV A.

The US study did tests on mice, probably those pre-disposed to
developing cancers.  A long term study done in OZ on people,
indicated very strongly that broad spectrum sunblocks can halt
further damage to the skin and to some extent can allow damaged skin
to recover.  This is very significant as the association between sun
induced skin damage and the development of skin carcinomas is very
strong

Sunburn in childhood is one of, if not THE strongest factor that has
been shown can lead to skin carcinomas and Melanoma in particular.
broad spectrum skin blocks - those that block UV B rays - can prevent
sun burn.  All parents should ensure that they minimise their
childrens exposure to the sun and try their damndest to prevent
actual burning by using a broad spectrum sun block.

This subject is important to me also - my brother died of malignant
melanoma two years ago.

Giles

Unfortunately, I gave the newspaper to my daughter. This study did not claim
that sunblock didn't prevent sunburn, but that sun exposure NOT sunburn
caused melanoma. It claimed sun exposure with sunblock was still dangerous,
and that genetics did influence the incidence of carcinoma. It is difficult
to argue against the role of genetics in any disease or medical condition.
It is definitely something to think about. As with all other dangers these
days, hopefully more will be learned in the future. As for now, we must do
the best with the information at hand. Too many people take the old "it
won't happen to me" attitude.

Doug