RE: [OM]Friday the 13th, was Mercury batteries 1.35V

Subject: RE: [OM]Friday the 13th, was Mercury batteries 1.35V
From: "Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom)" <ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:33:51 -0500
The Schlossmeister wrote:-
>>I wonder how long it will take for prison officials in Texas and
>>in the PR of China to figure out that they could use their death
>>row inmates to manufacture Hg batteries. Talk about killing two
>>birds with a single shot ...
>
>>(Oh well, it's Friday the 13-th, so what did you expect? :-)
>>A dark and cynical post is, IMHO, most appropriate.)

I had a fairly photographic orientated Friday the 13th:-

One of the camera stores in town decided to trial a "Friday the 13th
Sale"  with all the staff dressed in black and more importantly, 130ff
everything in the store.  While there, I picked up a Panagor Macro
focussing teleconverter (1:10 - 1:1 mag. with 50mm at infinity so it
says on the barrel) for the equivalent of $29US.  It  has been a long
and fruitless wait for Vivitar's macro TC in OM mount so I went for this
Panagor.

For me it is easier to use than extension tubes as you have infinite
control over magnification (within its 1:10 - 1:1 range) plus you can
use the magnification ring to focus with.   With extension tubes I am
constrained to whatever magnification you get with specific lens focal
length/extension combinations and focussing is achieved by moving the
whole outfit back and forth .  Don't know what picture quality will be
like yet with the Panagor, but for the price I'm not expecting miracles.

The other thing I did on the day was sign up with a pro-lab for
discounted E-6 processing.  Next month marks my first year in
photography as a serious hobby, so for me, next on the agenda is to try
transparency and B/W  film and have a dabble in the darkroom.  If I'm
still in it by this time next year, maybe I'll check out large format.

Last but not least, I bought my wife a box of chocolates for Valentine's
day for putting up with my photographic excesses this past year  :-)

Regards
S.C.

PS thanks to all on this list for all the useful, informative and
entertaining posts to date.

PPS this is the second attempt to send this - I didn't see the first
attempt make it to the list so apologies to anyone who gets a double up.
Regards
S.C.