Re: [OM] OM-F in-focus-cable

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-F in-focus-cable
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:29:15 GMT
Cc: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:14:37 GMT, kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Volkhart
Baumgaertner) wrote:

>Yo,
>
>very recently, I acquired a very nice OM-F, which I wanted to have because
>(besides from just loving to use OMs) I think its electronic focusing aid is
>quite an interesting step in camera-technological evolution.
>>From a book I have (Olympus Fotoschule, in German, by Richard Hünecke; real
>good) I learned that there is something called an IN FOCUS cord that is used
>to connect the camera to a winder which it triggers when the subject comes
>into focus.
>I figure that it goes into the jack to the right of the lens mount on the
>camera. I have never seen one of these cords for sale anywhere. Are there
>any sources that might be able to supply one?

Hello Volkhart.
The camera is really nice, considered from the Olympus history point
of view. Only one AF lens has been made for it.... the 35-50 zoom with
slef contained AF mechanism and batteries. (BTW, this lens gives
autofocus capacity to all OM bodies).
But all other Zuiko OM-system lenses fit on this camera too, and then
what is left of the AF system is an electronic focus system. You turn
the lens into focus, and when it snaps a green LED will tell you so.

Now for the In-focus trigger cord, indeed for use with a motor drive
or winder.

With a normal (non AF) lens the cord goes between the socket on the
camera body (in the place that you indicate) and the remote socket on
drive or winder. The shutter release built in the drive connector of
the cord takes the place of the button on the drive itself. If you now
sewt a focus distance on the lens and press the button on the cord
socket, the camera will not immediately release but wait until a
subject comes into focus. Then the picure will be taken. You can even
lock the button, and then (provided the drive is in sequence mode)
shooting will go on as long as a subject is in focus.

With an AF lens (the AF lens, I must say) and whatever OM-body the
cable will be connected between a jack on the lens itself, and the
drive as before. These combinations will let you make sharp pictures
of moving subjects! The zero-in electronic-focus, as the system is
called, will keep the moving subject in focus. Of course the drive or
winder must be in sequence position again...

The drive end connector of the cord is filled with electronics. I am
quite capable of doing some elctronics myself (although not the
professional you are or have been) but I would strongly discourage you
when you have the idea to build a cord like this. I haven't even
bothered to try and find out what the elctronics functions are...

There is no reason for it - the cords are rather often for sale in
different shops, for odd prices ranging from $3 (which I paid for mine
at Wall Street Camera) to $25 or more.... $10 is a fair price.
If you want me to help to find you one locally email me personally. I
think I know a source here. I think in Hamburg you will find a large
photoshop which has a 'Fundgrube' where you can find one as well.
And maybe the unevitable Olympus guy will jump in, when reading this
;-) hello, Paul ;-)

Hope this helps,

BTW, read p. 92 of your (indeed beautiful) book for more details.
Or is that where your question came from...?

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.