Re: [OM] IS-3 vs IS-1

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-3 vs IS-1
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:02:06 GMT
Hi Ken.

I know the IS-1 (which I gave to my wife when it first came onto the
market) and the IS-3 (which I bought for myself last year because my
wife sometimes made better pictures with her camera then I could with
the whole OM-setup, especially when conditions changed quickly and
speed was important)...

IMO the IS3 has two main advantages over the IS1:
1. The low light focusing is far more reliable, and the focusing
itself is much faster too.
2. The flash system (with two tubes incorporated) is much better. You
will not always have to take the G40 with you (however beautiful it
is).

But the IS3 is an imporvement in every other aspect as well.

The IS3 lens quality is on par with that of the IS1, maybe slightly
better, but of course the zoom range (35-180) is much longer. I have
no experience with the available wide angle and tele converters, but
the 40cm special macro lens which I do own is beautiful as well. I
even use it on my OM-system sometimes (it has a 55mm thread).

If you want a time/date stamp, go for the IS3DLX. I have that one, but
never use the ugly stamps myself. They spoil my pictures, and are only
useful for scientific purposes I guess. And that's what I use my OM's
for. Of course the date/time feature makes the IS3 a nice watch, but I
take it that yours was not in the car when it was broken in to....

Ther are some other differences (read: improvements), and some extra
exposure programs as well, but I won't bother about those too much.
Maybe you will use the special night mode sometimes, which takes into
account both flashlight for nearby subjects and ambient light from
more distant lights. For the rest it is all there: manual, aperture
and time priority modes, and full auto of course. The latter is what I
use most with this camera.... speed and easiness being the main
reasons to buy it in the first place

A last difference that I remember now: the IS3 has a remote control
option. When useing the little device you must cover the viewfinder
for stray light entering the camera.... ;-(
Nice feature though is that you can also use it from behind the
camera, if not to far away from it.

Hope this helps, Frank.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht - Holland.