Re: [OM] Subscription notice on EVERY article - what a waste!

From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 18:48:43 -0800
On  6 Feb 98 at 19:32, Kennedy wrote:

> Is there really any reason why EVERY message on the digest has the
> subscription and de-subscription notice tagged to it?  It is often
> needlessly quoted in replies and a recent digest contained primarily
> quotations of the subscription notice.  What a waste of bandwidth and
> general nuisance to all readers!
>
> Can't the message be added as a header to the digest itself - along with
> the date and volume and number?
>
> If it is needed - cant it just be smaller, a couple of lines perhaps?
> This is more annoying than the ASCII art sig's that newbies use!

Sorry, this is a limitation of majordomo itself, which does not have
a "real" digest mode yet. (It is promised soon).

The list software I tried in October did a better job of digests, but
was lacking in other areas. Majordomo seems to offer the best
compromise of features and reliability at the moment.

I have tried to keep the footer short, but this format was adopted
from the previous list keeper (Giles), so I've kept it much the same.

I'd thought about just posting the list web page URL as a footer, but
not everyone has easy web access, although I imagine they are a small
minority by now.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School