Re: [OM] Gouge me once, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Gouge me once, etc.
From: "L.J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 07:08:26 -0800
CarlMarin@xxxxxxx wrote:

> >  Hi Robi! We have the OM-2SPrograms, about five in stock now.
> >  Mint to near mint condition are $286us, includes instruction
> >  manual, too! A 50/1.8 ZUIKO is $15, mint, if bought with the
> >  body! Paul.

> Geeze Paul, don't be such a hard ass!  Most people give those
> 50/1.8's away as body caps.   Also,  I hope none of our foreign
> listmembers think that "asking prices" are cast in stone on used
> equipment.  I'd counter with a offer of $200 cash and if old
> Paul won't counter back I'd say keep looking.   Its not like
> he can sell his stuff on the Pentax list.  If you don't demand
> good deals you won't get any.   The '6' in the $286 price is a
> nice touch ;^)  Makes it sound official, doesn't it.  I'll have
> to remember that trick next time I'm selling crap at the flea
> market.

Hi Carl! -- You're right!  The "6" is a nice touch -- sort-of
reminds me of when K-Mart had all their pricing ending in a "7"
(do they still do that?)!  The advantage here is that you don't
need to dodge all those discarded diapers (nappies) in the
parking lot!

> I suspect Paul has started working this list pretty hard because
> he's trying to build up some sales.  Nothing wrong with that
> really but considering the kind of prices he seems to charge
> and the average condition of alot of the stuff I've seen him
> with at the shows I'd say a better strategy might be to
> lower his prices.

Hmm.  Maybe I've been taking the wrong approach.  We've got a
captive audience here.  Perhaps we should actively solicit
commercial vendors.  We could lure them in here on the pretext
that they'll be our "Rainmakers".  We let them tear at each
other for awhile.  When they start bleeding into the sawdust
some of us fun-loving folks can take some shots at them.

This could be very entertaining!  I think I'll e-mail all the
folks on the Olympus Vendors list (on my web site -- see below)
and invite them into the fray.

Hmm...Modify that.  There has been one commercial vendor who
has been very restrained -- I may save him from the killing
field.  And another vendor was recently deleted -- I may have
a hard time finding that one.

Photography you ask?  Why bother when you can run an exclusive
Olympus/Zuiko swap meet!

> Just my personal opinion of course :^)
>
> Long live Capitalism!

Viva Che!

> Carl  (doing my part to maintain an efficient market)
>
> BTW, don't even get me started on that other guy with the gold
> plated prices who then couldn't be bothered to sell an item
> separately.   Why did he list a separate price?   What has this
> list come to?  Please reach up and pull that "I'm a gullible
> sucker" sticker off your forehead.  You're giving the place a
> bad name.
>
> "Mail Filter?  I don't need no stinking Mail Filter"

Larry (looking for my white shoes and polyester) Clark
#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx