RE: [OM] Queries on OM4Ti

Subject: RE: [OM] Queries on OM4Ti
From: "Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom)" <ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:44:24 -0500
Cc: "'RobertA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <RobertA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Robert,

Without consulting manuals or documentation (so someone please correct
me if I am wrong) I hereby supply the following info/complaints.

1. I have the 2-4 screen on the OM4 which is all matte except for
central circle for spot metering.  It cost $65 from Gunz.  Apart from
the 2-13, I don't think there are any other 2 series focussing screens.
I seem recall posts on this list describing the Beattie Intenscreens as
being brighter than OM 2 series screens but they cost a fair whack more.
 Even so, with the 2-4 screen, I found a big improvement in VF
brightness with a 300 f4.5 and 2xTC combo.

On OM4 series , all exposure metering occurs prior to the light passing
through the focussing screen so it is not affected by the type of screen
installed.

2.  On my OM4 I use a  TTL Autocord 0.6M T ( for T series flash) for
with generic flash bracket for off camera flash use.  This cord plugs
into the five prong (PC?) socket on the front of the OM4 series camera.
I got mine courtesy of His Majestic Highness Lord Schloss of this list
for far less than the $100 odd dollars it costs here new.  Both B&H and
KEH also sell this cord for a pittance, but for our unfavourable
exchange rate and the $65 international shipping fee that may have been
an option as well.

3. From what I've read in Dejanews and this list the F280 is like the
South African One Day cricket team (it promises much but falls short
when it counts).  I have the F280 and photocopied manual.  When combined
with the OM4Ti (or OM3Ti, OM77/707) it can be switched to sync at all
shutter speeds faster than 1/60th with downside being alarmingly
decreasing GN rating as shutter speeds increase.

It is a fixed head flash and has Super FP mode as described above, a
full manual dump mode (GN28 meters) and a TTL mode which I think is same
as the Full control by OM2 OTF-TTL flash that you get with T series.  So
methinks it won't lend itself to user controlled fill in flash ratio
independant of ambient light background exposure.  You'll need the F
series TTL Autocords to use it off camera - never seen used one here and
is $100 bucks new.

I've seen the F280 once in the used marked here for around $320 and
currently at KEH for $150US.
When you get your OM4Ti ( all the high end OM stuff seems to be found
north of Melbourne) you are welcome to come down and try out the F280
and if you you ever come across a OM 1.4XA  I'd be interested in a
trade.

Regards
S.C.

#