[OM] Raptor photography

Subject: [OM] Raptor photography
From: Robert Ashdown <RobertA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:28:55 +1000
Thanks to Ken, Ulf, John et al for the interesting mail on raptor
photography. I've been interested in this as I'm currently attempting to
photograph some nesting Crested (or Pacific) Bazas. These beautiful,
small hawks, while often seen hunting insects and frogs around suburban
trees here in Aus, are not as often seen nesting. In trying to
photograph this pair feeding two fledglings, I've been trying to get
some good enough shots to use in public talks re conservation of local
bush remnants. I have no hide (blind?) or tower, and have been shooting
from the ground (nest is not that high). I've been using my trusty Zuiko
300mm (4.5) with a T*mr#n 2X converter. However, I have been unable to
get a collar for the 300mm and use a home-built one made of wood.
Woeful! In a last ditch attempt to reduce shake I've been using Kodak SW
pushed 2 stops to 400. This film gives great results pushed in this way.

These birds have huge yellow eyes and snatch giant stick insects and
frogs out of the foliage after peering in all directions. Some of my
shots worked out OK (good enough for talks anyway - no calendar
material), but the early mornings spent watching these great birds made
up for the high number of blurred images. Sometimes the process of
trying to get the shots can be as rewarding as getting the actual
results. (A big bonus when things go right!)

By the way, I recently saw a doco here about your Golden Eagles
congregating - looked amazing!

Good luck with the bird photography!

Robert Ashdown
Brisbane