Re: [OM] Distortion in 35/2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] Distortion in 35/2.8?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:13:01 -0700
At 10:14 PM 1/22/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Olympians,
>
>Sorry to beat the perspective versus distortion horse but check this out.
>If you have the following Oly document.
>
>Larry wrote on top of what Shawn wrote:
>
>>Some on this list have described what you experienced as "barrel
>>distortion".  I'd be a little cautious with that diagnosis.
>
>I'd like to second Larry's point.

I was simply blasting off a missive to Shawn about what I thought it
sounded like without reading his post over and over and over again.  ;-)
You're right, and others are right as well, that it could be (probably IS)
an artifact of not having the lens' radial axis pointed at the horizon
line.  Any tilt in any direction can cause "leaning" of supposedly-parallel
verticals (I've produced some real howlers w/my 50mm), even if the lens is
orthoscopic.  As another poster pointed out "Friends don't let friends
shoot wide angles without a cross-hatch focusing screen" or something to
that effect.  Olympus' matte screen with the cross-hatch lines (can't
remember the exact number at the moment) is my default screen for all shots
-- I've caught a lot of potentially-annoying perspective gaffes at the last
moment just by checking alignment with the lines on the screen.

In any case, posting the photo to a Web page would certainly be the best
solution -- while there might still be some ambiguity, the range of options
of "what went wrong" would be limited.

Garth

"One day I walk in flowers,
 one day I walk on stones,