Re: [OM] Re: Oly calendar

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Oly calendar
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:20:56 -0700
At 11:58 AM 1/19/98 -0800,      "L.J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Fellow Olympoids:
>
>Allow me to be one of the first of the assembled "Wise Ones" to
>speak...
>
>I've been waiting for someone to provide some fairly realistic
>cost estimates on this project...Frankly, I'm surprised the
>estimate is this low.  There are also some choices to be made
>(such as needing 4-color on the grid pages).
>
>I'd guess that the marketing potential, outside this little
>group, is just about nil, or even a little less.
>
>However (and this is a big "However")...There is an option.
>This would demand that one of us with a bunch of spare time
>and a VERY good graphics computer, would be the "stuckee" and
>volunteer to produce the whole thing digitally.
>
>1.  The Stuckee (hereafter known as "Hero") collects original
>slides, high quality prints, or high quality scans of negatives
>or slides (2400 ppi, at least).
>
>2.  Hero likewise comes up with a basic format and calendar grid.
>
>3.  Hero makes selections for cover and monthly photos.  At this
>point the Hero can do the deciding him/herself, or allow us a
>look at some small prints and encourage voting.  (Since the Hero
>is doing all the work, the Hero has the last vote.)
>
>4.  Hero then spends endless hours of toil making this thing, and
>then converting it to a portable format (such as Acrobat *.pdf).
>File is then made available for download.
>
>5.  Individual users can then download calendar and print on the
>color printers we have at home, or take the calendar file(s) to
>a service bureau (or someplace like Kinkos) for printing.  (Kinkos
>will even do the download, if you give them a location on the web.)
>
>6.  If the demand is high, maybe, down the road, you can go with
>conventional printing.

Uh, okay...

Well, as it turns out, I *do* happen to have a 200 MHz Pentium with 12 Gigs
of mass storage, 128 Megs of RAM, and full editions of Photoshop 4.0, Xara
1.5, Pagemaker 6.5, Director 6 (for youse multimedia mavens), Adobe Acrobat
3.01 (full edition, not the freeware reader), Calamus 1.5, Adobe
Illustrator 4.1, Kai's Power Tools 3.0, Alien Skin and a few others too
esoteric to mention to the assemblage, plus a 30-bit 600x1200 dpi (optical)
SCSI-2 scanner, and, oddly enough, a server with an anonymous ftp
capability and several hundred megs of online storage sitting off of a 10
Mbps Ethernet segment directly connected to the peer-redundant Alberta
Internet backbone operating with dual OC-3c at 330Mbps.

Come to think of it, I'm probably not nearly well enough equipped for this
task.  Anyone else thinking of volunteering?  :-)

Garth

"Q: What's long and hard on a Canadian?
 A: Winter."

#