Re: [OM] Macro lens choice

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro lens choice
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:38:46 +0100
Georg Ling wrote:

>Now that you have the famous OM 90/2.  How would you like it (and
>compared with your previous Vivitar) in sharpness wide open and step
>down, contrast and flare(less)?
>
>********************
>
>Ulf Westerberg wrote:
>
>-----....------
>
> I've owned the Vivitar 100/2.8, sold it just the other mount (replaced
with
> a Zuiko 90/2). A bit soft wide-open, but absolutely fantastic stopped
down,
> and it goes all the way to 1:1. Drawbacks are that it's heavy and bulky
and
> doesn't handle flare very well. This was one of my bread-and-butter lenses
> for years, if you don't insist on very backlit objects (which I do) I
warmly
> recommend it. The bloke who bought the lens from me grabbed it immediately
> with no questions at all having the happiest smile on any face I've seen.
>
> Ulf Westerberg

I bought the 90/2 for two reasons, for better handling of flare in
macro-situations (flowers, insects), I also needed a lens in this focal
range for low-light situations as indoor markets etc.

I haven't taken any shots wide-open yet, as I got it late in the season I
haven't had much chance using it. I did shoot a few Velvia-slides of a very
hairy red-brown moth caterpillar with morning dew in natural lightning one
autumn morning and, looking at least from the technical side of it, the
results were absolutely fantastic according to my wife (and she's seen quite
a lot of macroimages from me over the years). Don't really know how to put
it, but there is something in the rendition of colours that make these
images really special. On the other hand, the results with the Vivitar would
definitely also be very good, had I taken any.

My preliminary tests regarding flare (don't have much sun here at this time
of year!) seems to verify that it handles it much better than the Vivitar.

As for weight, I haven't gained much, only about 100 grams, but the Zuiko is
less bulky and fits better in my camerabag.

I only use natural lightning for macro objects outdoors, in real life this
limits me going beyond 1/2 lifesize (well, for me that is). So I find I very
rarely need that, if I do, I'll add an extension tube or two which I have to
carry anyway for my other lenses.

But why, oh why didn't Olympus provide a f/32 setting on this lens?

I'll probably use it a lot with a 2x converter, not the Zuiko though, does
NOT fit. :-(

Ulf Westerberg

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx