Re: [OM] more OM-5 wants & stollen gear

Subject: Re: [OM] more OM-5 wants & stollen gear
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:15:56 -0800
Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:

[snip a long list of desirable s/w features]

R. Lee Hawkins wrote:

>I'm sorry to report that my car was broken into in Washington, DC.
>The bloody thieves got [...] about 3/4 of my Olympus gear.

Dunno about all these s/w features (it may be cheaper to hire an
assistant, who'll also carry tripods/lighting/lunch ;-)), but the
above two threads made me long for computer-like personalized
security devices (passwords?) on each new camera/lens.

This would render the theft of photo gear very unprofitable. The
potential loss of revenue to camera makers (they probably sell
0.7-0.9 new cameras for each stollen one), could be easily offset
by charging a small password retrieval/reprogramming fee from each
owner who forgets their password. :-)

Btw, this idea is not entirely original: the radio/tape in my car
(a Toyota Camry) won't work again if pulled out from the vehicle
by an unauthorized person. Apparently, thieves are well aware of
this. A few years ago, after I'd moved to New York, my car was broken
into 3 times in less than 2 months. They took everything they could
get their claws on, but never touched the radio!

As you can imagine, my California-based insurer dropped me like a
rock, and I simply resolved to not bother repairing my door/trunk
locks. :-(

P.S. I did file complaints with NYPD, but they could barely contain
themselves from laughing at my incredible naivité.  Oh well, in
hindsight I probably should've told them that a briefcase with toxic
bio-component or radioactive material was stollen from my trunk...
That would sure get their attention! ;-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx