Re: [OM] OM body wish list

Subject: Re: [OM] OM body wish list
From: "David Brown" <keswick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 14:03:14 -0000
After reading a lot of posts..........

New OM body wish list:

- full backward compatibility with all Zuiko lenses, flash, macro and
motordrive equipment
- faster flash sync speed
- aperture and shutter speed information in viewfinder
- new range of fast telephoto and zoom lenses
- multi-spot metering retained and improved - smaller spot?
- retain highlight/shadow control
- retain shutter dial position
- retain long exposure possibilities
- retain mirror lock-up on self-timer
- retain full manual operation possible
- retain dioptric correction, not needed now but will be one day!
- 1/2000 shutter speed is fast enough, but faster could be useful
- body kept as small and light as possible - but I do like metal!
- retain full manual operation possible
- use a more commonly found battery such as AA size
- at least one mechanical shutter speed

I am not interested in:

- autofocus
- 10fps motordrive
- gimmicks

That is what I would like - I am sure that Olympus marketing will be able
to think of things to add to make it a better seller to the general public
so I don't think we need to do that for them. I wouldn't mind other things
being added as long as they can be switched off, don't add a lot to the
cost and don't mess up any of the above! The cost of course would depend on
so many variables but for an improved specification OM4Ti (which is
basically what I am describing) I would certainly pay $1000 - especially if
the UK pound stays high until it is released.

I suspect that the market for high quality SLR cameras is dwindling beyond
professionals and enthusiasts as P&S cameras become better and better, BUT
a high end SLR will help shift a lot of P&S cameras, just as different
forms of motorsport help shift family cars. I would hope that this would be
enough to keep Olympus in the high-end SLR market. I suspect (hope?) that
the OM2000 is testing the water, or even better filling a gap until a
genuine new OMx can be released. Is it just possible that a year or so ago
Olympus realised the error of their ways and released the bought-in OM2000
to give them time to come up with something really special? It is
interesting that as far as I am aware the OM2000 is not on sale in the UK,
a country where there still seems to be a high proportion of OM SLR use
(then again we still prefer manual transmission in cars!).

Finally my hope for the middle-distance future would be for a high quality
digital camera which can use Zuiko lenses and most other accessories -
well, maybe not the motordrive :). It could also have an add on 35mm FILM
back.

David

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx